Sunday, September 16, 2012

Interview with Kenneth Hoss.

Today I have the wonderful thriller writer Kenneth Hoss as my guest. 
Storm Rising - A Kelli Storm Novel

1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?
 
After writing the first Kelli Storm novel, I attempted to go the traditional route and get an agent. After more than six months, and dozens of query letters, I was still unrepresented. One day while on a writers forum someone mentioned Smashwords. I asked what that was and was given the link with the explanation that I could publish my book there, free. Well, I checked it out, found that it was easy and published.
2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?
I write Police Procedural thrillers. As for as a preference for what I read, I read mostly thrillers, some Sci/Fi and occasionally, horror. It really depends on the book and if it catches my interest. I’ve even been known to pick up a little YA fantasy now and then.
3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?
Most of my sales for the first book have been here in the U.S. on Amazon. It has sold a few copies in the U.K. Storm Rising is currently available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and on iTunes. Storm Warning is going to be exclusive to Amazon.
4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?
I would have to say my grandfather, my mother’s dad. He taught me about a lot of things and was always an honest, hard working man. He loved to read, and I think that was instilled in me because as a child, I was a voracious reader. I still read of course, just not as much as I did then.
5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?
Unfortunately, no, however that is the goal. I hope one day to make enough from my books that I can write full time.
6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?
Actually, I’ve already considered that. I think that Charliez Theron would be perfect to play Kelli.
7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner table.
This is a tough one, as I would have a hard time just inviting six. I would have to say my first choice would be John Grisham. I love his work and think he would be a fascinating guest. For the second would be David Baldacci, who I just discovered late last year, and is a dynamic author. For my third choice, Isaac Asimov, who was a childhood favorite, and still is a favorite. Fourth, and someone I would have loved to have known, Mark Twain, aka, Samuel Clemens. Fifth, and not a writer or author, General George Thomas Sumter, a Revolutionary War Hero, and my great-great-great Uncle. (There may be more “greats” in there, I just don’t recall how many.) Last, and certainly not least, Neil Armstrong. Sadly, he just recently passed away, and I would have loved to meet him.
8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?
Just keep writing.
9. What are your plans for the coming year?
Well, the plan is to have the third book written and have it ready for publication by early fall, or possibly late summer, depending on Kelli and her moods.
10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?
You would really limit me to three books? That is just cruel and inhumane. Okay, I know, this is just a hypothetical. Well, if I could only take three books, then I have to say the first would be War and Peace. Hey, I’d have plenty of time to read it. As for the second and third, I really can’t narrow it down, there are just too many good books out there.


Storm Rising – A Kelli Storm Novel. Currently available on Amazon in ebook and paperback. Also available on Barnes and Noble and iTunes.
Also available on Amazon UK
Storm Warning – A Kelli Storm Novel. Exclusive to Amazon in ebook and paperback. Available on 9/15/12


1 comment: